I've moved the blog!

I've moved my blog to www.coolcatteacher.com as well as all of the posts from this blog. Learn more...

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Frustrations of Finding the Audio & Video for Student Films

OK, so I have a little money -- not a lot, but a little. (Around $2000 give or take.)

I need to get:

A Camera -

I have one with DV tape but it is terrible to get onto the computer and keeps dropping frames. I WANT one with a hard drive (they just go for longer) and am very interested in the Canon HG10 AVCHD 40GB High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom which from what I understand films in the coveted 24p cinema mode, however, my book Filmmaking for Teens: Pulling Off Your Shorts (which I HIGHLY recommend for anyone doing film in their class, says I HAVE to get a 3 chip camera and it looks like the Canon HG10 doesn't have that. The book also says I need: manual focus, white balance, audio in, image stabilization, and progressive scan. I also need to figure out what to do about a CLear UV filter that my book says I need to protect the lens.

2) Microphone -
This is where I'm having a TERRIBLE time. I need a shotgun microphone ideally with a Wind Eliminator (fuzzy sock). I am also a little confused about the XLR Cables and XLR Adapter that I'm supposed to get and the Boom Pole that I need unless we just make one.

3) Lights - I am probably going to have to rig one up from the hardware store supplies mentioned in the book but might be interested in a professional lighting kit. I KNOW NOTHING about this.

OK, so

I have Headphones and a Tripod already so I think we're OK there.

So, as I've done before, perhaps there are some people struggling. I've created a wiki page for you to help me formulate the best way to do this under an extremely small budget. Edit there or leave me a note here.

And please, don't make me feel stupid! I've been struggling for a month with this and researched for so many hours. I feel so dumb and need to place this order this week. HELP!!!!! (Or tell me who to call!)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus Comments for Cool Cat Teacher Blog