Virtual NECC 2006 Post #3: Highlights and hyperlinks from the stories in the NECC newsletters for Tu and Wed

Highlights (and Hyperlinks) from the Newsletters at NECC

Tuesday's Newsletter:

"We need to reach beyond the classroom, beyond the district and past the state or region." J.V. Bolkan

When asked "What is your greatest edTech challenge, Jack Sutton of Palisades Park, California hit it on the nose:

“to get teachers to move into the 21st century. the kids are way ahead of the teachers. we can put the technology in, but using it is another challenge.”
Hyperlinks behind the award winners
Rick Robb is the recipient of this year’s Outstanding Teacher Award. Not listed in the newsletter: the hyperlink to his amazing classroom website. He was also mentioned in eSchool news in 2000 for his pioneering work with PDA's in the classroom with the MindSurf pilot project. (Read the NEA article in 2001.) I don't know why the newsletter gives NO hyperlinks! How can we learn WHY they got an award without taking time to search for them!

Lindy Mckeown has been recognized with the Outstanding Leader Award. I found her Early Career Mentoring Blog, an Incredible pencil metaphor she has written about people who adopt technology, and what I think is her primary website. Again, the newsletter gives us NO HYPERLINKS but lots of pedigree. I want their blogs so they can change my life!

Kathy Dunberg, an art and science teacher with Gulliver Schools in Coral Gables, Fla., has been named this year’s winner of the Kay L. Bitter Vision Award for Excellence in Technology-Based PK–Education. This first grade teacher in Florida has done some incredible work with her first graders in their Discovery Center. She also has a Gulliver Student Art Center.

Niles Township High school District 219 is the 2006 Sylvia Charp Award for District Innovation in Technology winner.

I am very proud of my blogosphere-friend Jennifer Wagner of Crossroads Christian Schools in Corona, Calif. She wonThird Place with TechnoSpud Project. I've participated in one of them and they are GREAT projects for those who need a little guidance. It is a good place to start new teachers. She is also a great person!

The Wednesday NECC Newsletter


I am quite fascinated by the article on Bonnie's Fitware (http://www.pesoftware.com/) , physical education software that lets them play computer games AND exercise. (As my kids would say "Kewl!")


Thoughts on Thursday: What I'd see if I was there


I'd be there at the Birds of a Feather sessions. They've already run today but Thursday will be at 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. In these sessions, people are seated by common interests in tables of ten. This is a phenomenal networking idea and I look forward to seeing how it goes!

On the notes for tomorrow, I wish I could listen in on the survey by CDW-G's VP, Chris Rother. ( Thursday at 2 pm in room 6e) as he shares the results of their recent survey: Teachers Talk Tech: Is Technology Integration Improving Student Performance. I just bought my new computer lab from them.

(I haven't looked at the workshops, there are so many, I might think my glass is half empty and not half full again!)

Notes for the planners for Atlanta next year

Online newsletters for any conference should be hypertext rich PDF files. This is for conference participants and others. Without hyperlinks, the online newsletter is a "dead" document.

An organization like ISTE should be modeling good practices in the digital age. I had to Google almost all of the information I found here in this post. I hope it is correct, but if not, correct me and I'll make sure to fix my mistake!

Their newsletter and website should be rich with hyperlinks and information so that the learning from NECC can continue all year long!

Popular Posts