Get Netsmartz, the free program to help educate teachers, parents and students.
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
Sextortion is a shocking new way online predators are targeting kids. At ISTE this week, I was upset when the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children explained this disturbing trend to me. So, I recorded a show. Educate yourself. Talk to kids. Keep them safe.
The time to talk is when they get their smartphone. RIGHT THEN.
Share this show with parents, teachers, and everyone. It could even happen to you if you aren’t aware.
Today’s Sponsor: Netsmartz Free Teaching Digital Citizenship Course
Sextortion Show Notes:
- Sextortion is a new form of victimization and exploitation of children.
- How some pornographers are spamming kids to sextort pictures from kids. (I’m so surprised by this.)
- Ashley Reynolds and her fight against sextortion.
- Why we should talk to kids about what to do after they sext on their smartphones.
- How adults and parents can prevent their children from falling victim to sextortion.
- How suggestive photos put you at risk.
- The sextortion PSA from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.
Who is Laurie Nathan?
Laurie Nathan is a child safety advocate dedicated to raising awareness of abduction prevention, child sexual exploitation, and Internet safety in communities nationwide. As Director of National Outreach at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), Laurie partners with organizations on child safety issues and educates professionals at national and regional events, including the National Sheriffs’ Association Annual Conference, Internet Crimes Against Children National Conference, and YMCA of the USA EXPO.
The post Sextortion: Your Students Are at Risk, Teachers Can Help appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!
via Vicki Davis at coolcatteacher.com. Please also check out my show for busy teachers, Every Classroom Matters and my Free teaching tutorials on YouTube.