10MT: The 10-Minute Teacher interview with Jennifer Burgin
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
Jennifer Burgin (@MrsJBurgin) teaches amazing 2nd graders at Oakridge Elementary in Arlington, Virginia. She was named Oakridge Teacher of the Year and Arlington Public Schools Teacher of the Year in 2016.
Too many teachers are working too hard to teach writing. When the teacher is “queen of the classroom” and has to do everything (review, give feedback, find mistakes) it either burns out the teacher or frustrates the students.
Today’s show will help teachers solve this problem by learning the fundamentals of facilitating peer review that works. Starting at the beginning with simple steps and moving towards a full peer review classroom, Jennifer talks with Vicki Davis on 10MT today about how her classroom changed when she started using peer review.
She also shares her biggest mistakes and frustrations and how teachers can avoid them. Finally, she talks about how every teacher can start using peer review today.
In this episode, we cover how peer review classrooms can unlock great learning potential. Topics include:
- How Jennifer’s school district is working to improve writing
- How her class is writing books
- The process of peer review including pitfalls and modeling
- The problem of students wanting to play and how she solved it
I hope you enjoy this episode with Jennifer Burgin!
[Stitcher coming soon!]
- Listen on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
Want to hear more about this show? Listen to my first episode of this podcast where I tell a story about a remarkable teacher and about this new podcast, the 10-Minute Teacher.
Selected Links from this Episode
- Gail Gibbons (http://ift.tt/1rh2955)
- Seymour Simon (http://ift.tt/18XzDhj)
- Fantastic Formative Assessment Tools (http://ift.tt/1D4Pv1E )
- Jane Yolen (http://janeyolen.com/)
Jennifer Burgin teaches the most amazing 2nd graders at Oakridge Elementary in Arlington, Virginia. She was named Oakridge Teacher of the Year and Arlington Public Schools Teacher of the Year in 2016. Jennifer is a cat lover, avid children’s book reader, and loves giving and receiving hand written letters.
Contests included in this show
- MakerBot Replicator Mini+ Giveaway Contest Rules
- Manner of selection of winners: All classroom teachers with a valid Twitter or Instagram handle who leave a review on iTunes for the 10-Minute Teacher show will have their handles put into a random drawing to determine the winner. Those who leave a review between 2/1/2017 and 2/3/2017 will have two entries for each review. The winner will be required to verify that they are a classroom teacher and that the MakerBot Mini+Replicator will be used in the classroom. Or, if the winner is not a classroom teacher, we must verify with an appropriately designated principal or administrator of the location in a classroom where the device will be placed. Winning another prize during the contest period from the 10 Minute Teacher Show does not exclude the winner from winning this prize. All reviews of the show are eligible for entry.
- Geographic Area and Eligibility: Due to shipping costs, this contest covers the United States and Canada. Classroom teachers or those in schools who will place the device in a classroom for student use are eligible to apply.
- Dates: February 1, 2017 – February 14, 2017 at midnight EST.
- How Prizes Will Be Awarded: All names of people who leave reviews will be put into a random drawing by the prize administrator.
- Determination of date of winner: February 15, 2017 the name will be drawn and the winner notified and verified to be a classroom teacher or to place the device in a classroom. If the winner does not meet qualifications, another winner will be selected.
- No purchase necessary.
- Alternate method of free participation: You may mail your name, mailing address, email, phone number, and school name to ATTN: Lisa Durff 26 Beall Street, Frostburg, Maryland 21532.
- Winner’s name will be posted on this blog before February 27, 2017.
- Void where prohibited.
The post #02: Secrets for Teaching Great Writing in the Classroom by Using Peer Review appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!
via Vicki Davis at coolcatteacher.com. Please also check out my show for busy teachers, Every Classroom Matters and my Free teaching tutorials on YouTube.