But there are other simulations and activities that they do as well and as a small thank you to Jeff Stanzler and his team of crack-simulators and students, I'd like to share what else that they have going.
I love the description that they have on their site:
"ICS programs are not distance-learning courses in the traditional sense of the term. Rather, they are collaborative projects defined by extended interactions between students at different schools, thematic content in a variety of subject areas, opportunities for personal engagement through character-play, self-expression or social activism, and (often) involvement of university-level mentors under the supervision of the project directors. Each project involves meaningful, often intensive, communication among K-12 students, mentors, and facilitators. ICS activities use custom-built environments specific to each project's goals."
This, my friends is what Flat Classroom(tm) type projects are all about.
U Michigan ICS Simulations
- Arab-Israeli Conflict/ Middle East Simulation - It is amazing the depth of knowledge my students had about the current politics AND history AND geography of the Middle East. Excellent simulation.
- Earth Odysseys They are heading to China This Year for this Middle/ High School simulation.
- International Poetry Guild - "a web-based language-arts program that develops students' writing abilities while encouraging them to become critical, appreciative readers of poetry" and this can be done in ANY language. So cool.
- Place Out of Time - "Place Out Of Time is a simulation of a trial, where students play guests who come from a range of places and times throughout history to discuss some of the great issues of humankind." This is a fascinating idea.
- Michigan Student Caucus - For students in Michigan to discuss and share the interests of students in Michigan.
- Michigan Matters - For elementary students studying the history of Michigan.