What has teachers talking?
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
When looking at the top posts of the over 3,500 blog posts here, a theme jumps forward for February 2016. Hope, stress, encouragement, growth, and trying to improve education. I see struggle and persistence all over the pieces that you are sharing this month. Yes, teaching is hard. But teaching is worth it, my dear friends.
Some of us are looking at where we’re going to teach next year. Others are just trying to make it through this year. Testing is approaching. But we can’t lose sight of having a relationship with our students and loving ourselves.
If I haven’t told you lately, dear teacher, I admire you. Those of you who work hard to encourage your students. Those of you who put in extra hours. Your work does matter.
I had a friend who was talking to an accreditation leader in the state of Georgia this past week. He asked his friend (the accreditation leader), “what’s the biggest challenge in education right now” and here was the answer:
“The stakes are so high right now that the number one problem is that the best teachers are being given more work and those who can’t do the job are being given less. This understandable but misguided practice is driving the best teachers out of education.”
I couldn’t agree more. I wish I could say hang on, help is on it’s way. But I can say that I’ll keep yelling from the mountaintops the need for you to persist and the need for good leadership and every education reporter to recognize and get you the help you need. We have to keep speaking out. We are the media now. You have influence. What will you share in your network? What needs to be said?
Keep up your chins, as my Mom would lovingly say. Teaching is a noble calling. We “march” on.
Top Posts: February 2016
- 10 Ways to Flip a Kid and Turn Their Day Around
- 100+ Great Google Classroom Resources New in February 2016!
- 15 Best google Drive Add-Ons for Education
- Note Taking Skills for 21st Century Students
- Edusketching: A Tool to Help Students Understand Complex Concepts (with Wendy Pillars) New in February 2016!
- 10 Stress-busting Secrets of Great Teachers (The graphics on this post are being pinned, printed and downloaded. Use them as you need them!)
- How to Use Padlet: A fantastic Tool for Teaching
- 10 Things Google Classroom Makes Easier with Alice Keeler
- 6 Reading Comprehension Problems and What to Do About Them
- What to Do When Someone Hates You
- 8 Types of Blending Learning According to Research with Thomas Arnett from the Christensen Institute New in February 2016!
- 6 Ways to Motivate Teachers: Be the Hope
- Teaching Growth Mindset with 10 Growth Mindset Statements
- Innovator’s Mindset: Teaching Students to Be Problem Finders with George Couros New in February 2016!
- Teacher PD is Still Broken These 3 Steps Can Fix It with Dan Brown New in February 2016!
- If I’m Such a Great Teaching, Why Do I Want to Quit?
- You Matter: Before You Help Students, You Must Help Yourself with Angela Maiers New in February 2016!
The post The Cool Cat Teacher Blog: Top Blog Posts of February 2016 appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!
via Vicki Davis at coolcatteacher.com. Please also check out my show for busy teachers, Every Classroom Matters and my Free teaching tutorials on YouTube.