The Books of Summer

I've told some of you at conferences that I'd share the links to the books I keep mentioning in my keynotes. I've also added permanent links to these on the books tab on my blog as I won't get to share about all of these books in today's blog post. My friend Julie Lindsay is here from China and we have a ton of work to do for our Flat Classroom projects!

Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload 
1 - Productivity
Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload  by Mark Hurst - This is the book that has most helped me tackle my email. Yes, Getting Things Done: is  good book, but it overwhelmed me too much! The flow chart took me under. After reading Bit literacy, I highly recommend the Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better

Influencer: The Power to Change Anything
2- Change Leadership
Influencer: The Power to Change Anything
This is an incredible book chock-full of research on the characteristics of effective change. The thing I love in this book is that it literally talks about influencing change from any level in the organization. It is by far one of the best books on change leadership I have ever read and for that reason I highly recommend this book.

The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
3 - Understanding New Media and Organizational Change
The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
This incredible book by John Hagel, III, John Seely Brown, and Lang Davidson helps one understand how organizations must evolve in light of new social media. Additionally, it shares how one must evolve to be able to pull appropriate people and resources into one's scope of attention in order to experience serindipitous learning experience. This is an excellent book.

Fred Jones Tools for Teaching: Discipline, Instruction, Motivation
4 - Teaching
Fred Jones Tools for Teaching: Discipline, Instruction, Motivation
This incredible book covers the nuts and bolts of teaching and has influenced my classroom teaching and the tactics I use on a daily basis. Excellent book. If you want to see the bigger picture, take a look at another great book Seven Simple Secrets: What the BEST Teachers Know and Do!

 Ten Fingers for God: The Life and Work of Dr. Paul Brand
5- Biography

Ten Fingers for God: The Life and Work of Dr. Paul Brand
Dr. Paul Brand worked in remote areas of India and discovered some major breakthroughs in the treatment and understanding of leprosy. He is a true hero and this biography inspired me in so many ways including parenting, pioneering when you're alone, and the transcendent power of a person on a mission. It is so important to find your calling and tirelessly work in that area. I love this book.

How To Win Friends and Influence People
6 - Living Life
How To Win Friends and Influence People remains a book I read every year. Not because I'm so good at winning friends and influencing people but because of the importance of being reminded of focusing on others and helping them reach their goals. When we help others reach their goals, we can also reach ours in the power of win-win. This is why I always look to work with people and organizations who truly care about others.  I'll tell you this, now that my blog has quite a few more readers than at the beginning, there are often people I meet who could care less about me as a person.

They just try to sell me things. If they don't care about me as a person then they wouldn't care about my readers, individual teachers, as a person. If they just want to sell something I don't really have time for that nor do I have time to share it with you.  That being said, I do have some videos I filmed at ISTE from some really cool people that I will share.

Take time to learn about others and read this great book. Also, another wonderful book (except for the last few chapters which are a bit dated) How to Stop Worrying and Start Living is another book I like to read when I'm stressing out!

Sink Reflections
7 - Managing Your House
Sink Reflections by Marla Ciley - the FlyLady has helped me the most in keeping my house clean. This has always been a struggle for me and although I've now matured past having to use her detailed checklists, they got me on the way to being much more organized at home. It has been a process for me at home, but this book has helped so much!

Why read?

You are directly influenced by the books you read and the people you meet.  If you're in a rut, often reading or hearing inspirational speakers can pull you out of it!  Reading is such a joy and if you have a problem, you can likely find the answer in books.  There are so many great books out there.




Full Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon affiliate program. I would recommend these books anyway, but if you follow the links and purchase a book, it does help support this blog and I am very appreciative! Let me know if you have book suggestions for me!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Popular Posts