Skip to main content

Annotated Links 03/30/2008

ABC News: Could MySpace Be Your Kid's Social Key? Annotated

tags: coolcatteacher, digitalcitizenship, edu_trends, education

This is an interesting article that presents some interesting commentary on students today. It is very brief but makes some excellent points.

Quotes from the Article:
Larry Rosen, professor of psychology at California State University-Dominguez Hills, has long studied "the Net generation," the first to have grown up with the Internet, not to mention cellphones. In Me, MySpace and I: Parenting the Net Generation (Palgrave Macmillan), he helps parents understand social networks. His advice: Talk to your kids, learn the technology and don't panic. USA TODAY's Janet Kornblum spoke with the author.
    They're very self-motivated.
      This world encourages us to multitask. I think it encourages kids to be much less patient. More terse.
        This generation spends time at home — connected. Kids have to be social. It's all part of the preteen and teen years and young adult years
          Because they have a combination of people they know face-to-face in the real world and people they don't, (those of the Net generation) get a lot of chances to bounce ideas and to test out things on a social network that they probably wouldn't do face-to-face.

            Site Community for coolcatteacher.blogspot.com,Cool Cat Teacher Blog

            tags: coolcatteacher, edu_newapp, edu_news, edublogger, education

            This is the "site community" for my blog -- I'm learning a lot about what people have marked and the annotations feature is really cool. If you blog or have a website, you should look at the automatically created site community -- also check it out for those sites you really enjoy reading -- you may turn up some of their great old posts that you've not read!

            This morning I came here before I went to twitter. This seems to be the place to be right now. Sti | Diigo Message System Annotated

            tags: @education_trends, collectiveintelligence, collectiveknowledge, connectingpeople, coolcatteacher, diigo, education, hz08, hzmeta, twitter, virtualcollab

            This is a very honest, open discussion between educators about why diigo or delicious -- I think the fact we can have this conversation within diigo at all says a lot for the usefulness of the tool. Diigo is an emerging tool for social bookmarking and collective intelligence. These are extracted comments and my thoughts on what was said from the annotation feature in Diigo.

              Following are some "high points" from a variety of educators.

              Lisa Parisi



              This morning I came here before I went to twitter. This seems to be the place to be right now. Still not sure of all the groupings, taggings, etc. Reading what everyone writes and hoping to get it soon
                Will play on Sunday with Karen McMillan and Alice Barr. Anyone else want to join? Anyone want to teach?

                  Ryan Bretag



                  I'll join in the fun if you'll have me. Let me know time when you know.
                    I was going to present 20 minutes on Del.icio.us, but I may show Diigo instead - or both - or 20 minutes is not enough....
                      This new version "appears" to have fixed that issue, plus I've been impressed with the new features.

                        Caroline Obannon



                        I'm second guessing teaching only del.icio.us myself, too.

                          Liz Davis



                          I'm wondering if Diigo is too much for the newbie. Delicious is so simple and obviously useful. I'm afraid Diigo would scare some people away. I'm still inclined to start with delicious and save Diigo for my more advanced users (of which I have very few).
                            "Maybe overwhelming would describe my feelings.
                              However, I can defely think of quite a few people who would balk at it, too and favor the simplicity of Del.icio.us.
                                but most likely wouldn't participate in the social/sharing aspects they offer.
                                  The nice thing about the Diigo toolbar is that you can select which buttons to see, so for those who might find the extra choices of tools overwhelming, it can at least be customized.
                                    I'm feeling a Diigo obsession building. As soon as Explorer comes up I check to see if there are any messages in Diigo. How nice of them to put that number right on my toolbar!
                                      I created my very first List last night,

                                        Kristin Hokanson



                                        Liz I think it may be too much ially for the newbie and I will continue to send to delicious.
                                          There is one feature that I REALLY like and that is that you can EMAIL something you are tagging so for folks who LIKE to get those sites emailed, you can still meet their needs without an extra step yourself
                                            I second that. I like Diigo, but del.icio.us simplicity is so inviting.
                                              The value of Diigo is that it brings a number of tools together allowing for multiple entry points. The old training model is show them a tool from start to finish that goes over every single detail. With Diigo, why show everything to those new to all this? It is rather easy to click into your bookmarks. From there, teachers have a space they can grow. It also provides a wonderful opportunity to differentiate with your teachers -- the whole multiple points of entry.
                                                still I will have fun, exploring it and making effective use of it.
                                                  it is the ease of integration with blogging and twitter -- I annotated a page yesterday and pulled it directly into my blog. I can twitter bookmark that is important quickly -- AND I can use the tagging standards for the horizon project without having to remember the darn tags -- tag dictionaries are the most useful things to have been invented in a LONG time -- we need to set them up within one of our educational groups!
                                                    I don' t think I would not teach delicious. But perhaps starting with delicious and saving Diigo for later is a good idea.
                                                      I do find this site to be much more powerful and useful than delicious. I never really used delicious to its full potential. The fact that I am here just chatting with folks makes me want to stay and contribute to the collective knowledge.
                                                        We are conversing about the usefulness of diigo and I thought you might like to be included.
                                                          Maggie Tsai has invited Wade Ren to this conversation
                                                            Are you guys planning a Sunday get-together? If so, please advise the time - I'd love to join you and help answering any question.
                                                              Howdy! Wow, what can I say? Diigo is a lot more than delicious. If CoolCat Vicki hadn't written about Diigo again, I probably would have stuck with Delicious...and,if I hadn't been using Twitter, blogs, played around with Facebook, the social networking side of Diigo would have been just so much MORE to learn.
                                                                my concern would be to NOT limit learners in workshop sessions to the path I followed in learning these tools. Simply, folks, here is a tool that will grow as you grow and learn more about living and contributing in an interconnected world. The ability to have conversations like this, to annotate web pages, to share relevant quotes and tweet as needed...makes me wonder at the need for blogs at all.
                                                                  A few folks are considering exploring Diigo on Sunday morning and having a conversation about it now...join in and learn with us!"

                                                                  Popular Posts