After the first project won ISTE's Online Learning Award, and Friedman included us in the update to his book, teachers from around the world started joining in. It has grown into projects from Kindergarten through 12th grade and now we're working with preservice teachers as we look to see what that will look like. Teachers discuss how to connect globally on our Flat Classrooms Ning, open to any educator.
Join us tonight!Tonight, Julie Lindsay, and I will be presenting Meet the Flat Classroom® Monday (tonight) January 21, 8pm EST (January 22, 1am GMT) to talk about how you can connect globally by creating your own projects as well as the pedagogy behind it. We will also discuss our projects and give you updates on the Eracism debate project.
Below are some links and information you may find helpful including information on the conference and a new virtual book club about Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds, in case you missed the last one. You may be overwhelmed when you see all the things going. Julie is a masterful administrator, and Lisa Durff does so many great things to keep us going, but it is our teachers - the many teachers around the world who have taken this viral. It has spread through Twitter, Facebook, blogs and conferences as teachers, students, and preservice teachers imagine and facilitate what we used to only dream about.
You CAN do this. Please join in. Buy the book, follow the links. We want you to join us.
Hot Links and Information1. Flat Classroom Projects - We are launching all of our projects again in February 2013. Our goal is to facilitate the best global collaborative projects in the world where students co-create. Make sure you get your applications in! Download a brochure to share.
- Flat Classroom Project - Deadline for next project is January 23, 2013 APPLY NOW!
- Digiteen and Digitween Project - Deadline for next project is February 15, 2013 APPLY NOW!
- 'A Week in the Life...' - Deadline for next project is February 15, 2013 APPLY NOW!
- NetGenEd - Project based on the Horizon Report published in January each year - Deadline February 1, 2013 - APPLY NOW!
- K-2 'Building Bridges to Tomorrow' Project - Deadline for next project is February 15, 2013 - APPLY NOW!
- Eracism - A Global Debate, A Global Community - Deadline for next project is February 7, 2013. There will be 2 brackets - Middle School (10-13) and High School (13+). This semester a global community will be built using the OBA platform created by the University of Oregon led by Yong Zhao. - Apply Now
2. Flat Classroom School Subscription Co-founders of Flat Classroom, Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis, have a solution for schools who want to 'go flat' and include more classrooms and teachers in Flat Classroom Projects each year AND provide professional development opportunities for teachers. Become a Flat Classroom School!
Prices for 2012-2013
- Bronze Level - $195 for up to 100 students
- Silver Level - $495 for 1 certified teacher and up to 200 students
- Gold Level - $995 for 2 certified teachers and up to 500 students
- Platinum Level - $1795 for 3 certified teachers and up to 800 students
View our current Flat Classroom® Schools on the website!
3. Flat Classroom Certified Teacher course. The next cohort will kick off in February! Come and join us or a PD experience that will not only build your PLN but transform your teaching and learning.
ANNOUNCING! Flat Classroom Certified Teacher - Group discount for schools and organizations (2012-13)
$2000 - 5 certified teachers
$3500 - 10 certified teachers
Contact Flat Classroom now to tailor your professional development needs. email@example.com
4. Flat Classroom Conference Come and join us at the Yokohama International School, March 8-10 2013 in Yokohama, Japan for this unique, challenge-based event that brings student and teachers together from across the world. We invite you to browse our updated website and consider bringing students to this life-changing opportunity. Teachers looking for course credit for attending this conference watch this space for important updates coming very soon. Virtual participants invited to attend also - watch this space for application form coming by the end of January! REGISTRATION is OPEN!
5. Projects Databank - This is a place for Flat Classroom Certified Teachers, and others, to post their projects and attract classrooms from all over the world to participate.
We invite global project designers to join our Project Databank because:
- This wiki will be the face of each project but the real power will be in the searchable database currently being built
- Flat Classroom style projects are about community and networking - and we will provide this for our Flat Classroom community to thrive
- Congratulations to Aaron Maurer, Flat Classroom Certified teacher cohort 11-1.
6. Future Learning Action Talks (F.L.A.T.s) - We invite you to consider presenting in Blackboard Collaborate and share your global adventures and successes. An archive of past FLATS are on the website. Upcoming F.L.A.T.s with Australian Chris Betcher, the FCP 12-2 keynoter, on January 29, 10pm AEST / 6am EST USA. Topic: The Flat Classroom Project - Taking the Long View.
7. Announcing: The World Wide Think Tank is a joint initiative by THINK Global School and Flat Classroom. It is a student initiated and student driven global student leadership forum. It was launched by students, Hannah, Yada and Paul, during a presentation at the Global Education Conference, 2012.
- To foster leadership skills.
- To encourage global conversations.
- To generate change.
- Join the SPOTX online community
- Like the Facebook page
- Complete the online form to be sent further updates.
- Browse the website to learn more and sign up:WWTT website.
Join in for the next online meeting (week starting January 28), volunteer to be a student leader!
8. Global Events - We invite you to use the Flat Classroom Educators network to advertise your global events. Make sure you keep an eye out for what is coming up!
What’s coming up?
- Meet the Flat Classroom - The next opportunity to meet Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis in an online information session will be Monday January 21, 8pm EST (January 22, 1am GMT). Check your location for date and time.
- Join a virtual book club - A new virtual book club is being led by Kyle Dunbar @edtechdunny based on our book, ‘Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds’. If you want to join, there is still time! Julie and Vicki will be coming to some of the sessions. The meetings are about discussing the concepts found in the book for flattened learning, making connections and learning from one another.
- Projects, F.L.A.T.s and more!
Questions about Flat Classroom®? Please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Lindsay (Australia) and Vicki Davis (USA)
Directors and Co-founders, Flat Classroom®
Lisa Durff: Flat Classroom Coordinator - email@example.com