Kids sleep with their cell phones: Are they suffering from connection addiction?

In this gcast podcast, I discuss what my son told me about his friends "sleeping with their cell phones" under their pillow and texting through the night. I've talked to three different groups of students and all of them report that over half of their friends will cell phones sleep with them under their pillow on vibrate and text through the night. I ponder the issue of connection addiction -- it is not internet addiction -- it is connection addiction and how we're working with this on the digiteen project - http://digiteen.wikispaces.com.

Danah Boyd really opened my eyes to the cell phone phenomenon. Many schools haven't come to grip w/ Web 2.0 -- Web 3.0 may be the cell phone connection? Maybe we're wrapped up in geekiness and missing what is REALLY going on. (Wouldn't be the first time!)

tag: , , , , , , , , ,

Popular Posts